Wednesday 31 August 2011

Vintage Box


Believe it or not, we are still trying to sort out our attic! There is so much stuff in the loft space it betrays what terrible hoarders we all are. Stacks of books, toys, magazines and more lie in wait for us in the further reaches of the attic.

But over the course of sorting, I am finding some treasures!
Take this lovely box, for example, which either belonged to my Grandma or my great auntie:

Hmmm, I wonder what’s inside?


 Sewing tools! Perfect!


Plenty of needle books, including some handmade. 


 This perplexed me at first. Then I unscrewed the base…


More needles!


As for this gorgeous little box, well! What a cute way to store pins!


 Of course, with all those sharp objects, an assortment of thimbles are needed.
These are just a few--there are a bunch of plastic ones too.


And right in the bottom of the box?


Cottons galore!


Along with all the things above I found four pairs of scissors in varying sizes (fantastic since my sewing box is missing a smaller pair), elastic, pins, embroidery floss and carded threads for repairing clothes and hosiery!

In particular I was pleased to find the reels of cotton, it means I can make more of these:


I was inspired to make this vintage cotton reel necklace after seeing some on amy is the party and thinking 'I can do that!'
Amy actually just shared a tutorial for making them on OnePearl Button! It's really worth checking out!

Anyway, I made this necklace a couple of weeks back before I came into possession of the sewing box above. I was playing around with some beads I bought from Big Bead Boutique in Brighton (my favourite bead shop!) and some old ribbons and things my Nanny gave me (she also gave me the old reel of cotton).

It isn’t the colours I usually wear but I wanted a change--and now I have all those lovely vintage cottons I can make as many as I want!

We’re still clearing out the attic; who knows what other treasures I’ll find...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading all your sweet comments makes me happy! :) I appreciate each and every one and try to reply to all that I can!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...